Based on Frank Wedekind’s masterpiece The Awakening of Spring, Spring Awakening is the contemporary musical adaptation of one of literature’s most controversial plays. It boldly depicts a dozen young people and how they make their way through the thrilling, complicated, confusing and mysterious time of their sexual awakening. Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater’s score features songs that illuminate the urgency of adolescent self-discovery, the burning intensity of teen friendships and the innate suspicion of the uncomprehending adult world. The story centers around a brilliant young student named Melchior, his troubled friend Moritz and Wendla, a beautiful young girl on the verge of womanhood.
Spring Awakening was originally presented off-Broadway by the Atlantic Theater Company in May of 2006.
- Eugene O’Neill Theatre, New York, NY
- 2007 NYU/Tisch Big Apple Award - Winner
- 2007 Lucille Lortel Award - Nomination
- 2011 21th Annual Ticket Holder Award, Los Angeles - Winner
- 2007 Tony Award - Nomination
- Spring Awakening (2009 ) Lyric Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom, Europe
- Spring Awakening (2009 ) Novello Theatre, London, United Kingdom, Europe
- Spring Awakening (2006 ) Atlantic Theater Company, New York, United States, North America