Road to Mecca
The Road to Mecca tells the story of an eccentric elderly artist facing mounting pressure to abandon her independent life for a church retirement home. Out of desperation, she calls upon her only confidant, a fiery young teacher from Cape Town. When the village minister arrives to coax out her decision, the three enter a blazing showdown that pits conformity against free expression… faith in community against faith in oneself. Set against the charged backdrop of South African apartheid, The Road to Mecca is a beautifully crafted tribute to the artist’s indomitable spirit.
- Eisenhower Theater, Washington D.C., District of Columbia
- Kennedy Center, Washington D.C., District of Columbia
- The Road to Mecca (2011 ) Roundabout Theatre Company at the American Airlines Theatre, New York,
- The Road to Mecca (1988 ) Berkeley Rep, Berkeley, United States, North America
- The Road to Mecca (1988 ) Promenade Theatre, New York, United States